Black Market Heroes PVE Server
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Black Market Heroes PVE Server

69.162.111.234:19710

You are not connected. Please login or register

kicked on ping over 300

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1kicked on ping over 300 Empty kicked on ping over 300 Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:45 am

thomas c

I don't know what the thinking is on kicking high ping players; not having the technical background to know the effects on a mp server, I have no thoughts on it. but I do have a few questions I hope someone can answer.

my situation is I am a truck driver playing on an alienware laptop using a Verizon wireless internet connection. depending on where I am in the country I can have as high as a 2 mbps download speed and as low as 10 kbps. at the low end of the range I know the game is unplayable.

with the wireless internet often my ping numbers bounce around and I noticed that, connected to the server, it is usually almost an instant kick once the ping spikes over 300.

my question is, is there a server setting to give a certain number of seconds to allow a ping to drop from a high spike before kicking a player or is it either on or off.

Or am I totally off base due to lack of technical knowledge and spikes in upload/download speeds has little or no effect on ping...only the connections between laptop and server?

hehe and while I am asking questions, I have noticed at times that, even with a relatively low ping, there are sometimes significant lag between trying to open a container and actually opening it or travelling cross country and coming to the edge of the world because it isn't being filled in before I get there.
what is causing that? is that server side or is it a matter of fluctuating download/upload speeds causing it?

it sure is annoying working with this wireless internet but most of the time I am not able to hook up to a high speed wifi site.

2kicked on ping over 300 Empty Re: kicked on ping over 300 Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:11 am

Phreak Nation

Phreak Nation
Admin

Basically there is a 300 ping max. It doesnt trigger immediately.

3kicked on ping over 300 Empty Re: kicked on ping over 300 Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:21 am

Prototype6

Prototype6

As for the chest delay and the map chunk not loading fast enough it is a recurrent problem that seem to happen when a lot of player are connected on the server ( poor optimization on the game developer side)

4kicked on ping over 300 Empty Re: kicked on ping over 300 Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:42 am

Mistress Cherise

Mistress Cherise
Admin

what Proto said

http://www.jenniereed.scentsy.us

5kicked on ping over 300 Empty Re: kicked on ping over 300 Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:57 am

thomas c

ok thanks for the replies. had a feeling might be on the server side about delays in containers and loading areas. well it is in alpha still so am sure that is getting worked on. perhaps improvements with the server optimizations in alpha 10.

on the ping 300 thing. woke up early this morning and couldn't get right back to sleep so played an hour or two and got kicked 2 or 3 times for the ping. darned cellular internet keeps getting these occasional random ping spikes for some reason. most of the time this session that I checked was usually in the 100s.
only grip is sometimes when I get back in some items I had just placed or things made were undone and resources used still missing. I can see getting rolled back a few seconds or so when kicked but inventory should similarly be rolled back. but often seems inventory is kept more up to date so end up losing stuff. well am sure that will be fixed eventually too.

I must say though, even though this game is in alpha, I get more enjoyment and long lasting fun out of it than the major titles (like shadow over mordor or assassins creed unity which I just installed yet played less than 7dtd since I installed it) I have gotten lately.

6kicked on ping over 300 Empty Re: kicked on ping over 300 Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:53 pm

Spiral-Out

Spiral-Out
Admin

thomas c wrote: I can see getting rolled back a few seconds or so when kicked but inventory should similarly be rolled back.  but often seems inventory is kept more up to date  so end up losing stuff.  well am sure that will be fixed eventually too.

From what I've heard, player inventory data is only synched with the server every 30 seconds, whereas interactions with chests/forges/campfires etc. are saved more often, so this might explain why the inventory doesn't roll back when you get kicked.

Sorry to hear you have lag spikes with that connection. For situations like this it would be nice if we could add you to an exception list but there's currently no way to do so. Phreak is working on a new server manager so maybe that's a feature he could add in.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]